Spicy Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 lbs pre-cut butternut squash
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 dried red chiles, crushed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1-2 tbsp neutral oil
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced thin
- 1 large clove of garlic, chopped fine
- 2-3 cloves
- 4-5 cups of water
- 1/8 cup heavy cream (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Heat your oven to 350F.
- Line a cookie sheet or baking tray with aluminum foil for easy clean up. Spread butternut squash in a single layer. Sprinkle crushed red chile and cumin seeds over the squash. Drizzle olive oil. Mix well.
- Roast in oven for 15-20 minutes until cooked and edges of squash are lightly caramelized.
- While the squash is in the oven, sauté the sliced onion and chopped garlic on medium-high until the onion is browned or lightly caramelized. The onion will not evenly caramelize and that’s ok.
- Add roasted squash to pot, followed by cloves and add 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Once it boils, lower heat to low. Using your hand blender, blend to a smooth consistency.
- Either add heavy cream to the pot and mix well or garnish each bowl with about 1 tsp of heavy cream. If you have roasted pepitas, these add both color and texture to the soup.
- Enjoy hot!